Ahhhhhhh and EEEEEEk. Sorry to greet you with such outbursts this morning, but I'm HERE friends. This thing that I've been contemplating and pondering and wishing about, it's here. And I'm here in New York City for the first time ever.
Super big thanks to my hubs who has loved this blog into being through his abundant support and encouragement. This whole experience is a treat for me planned out by him. Thank you, dear.
Hugs and kisses to my kiddos who are gonna make my time away no less than exciting for him, too. Listen to your father.
I'm reposting the reflection I did from my armchair during AltSLC. I've been an #altsummitwannabe for a while so enjoy the tongue-in-cheek rendition.
If you want a window into what's going on live, join me over on Instagram at @parscaeli. Hoping to snag some great photos. You can also follow the hashtag #ParsCaeliatAltNYC.
Wish me luck!
Originally posted January 2013:
As many of you know, I'm a big fan of Alt Summit. I've followed founder and co-owner, Gabrielle Blair, for years, and I've learned oodles from their online classes through the Alt Channel. I actually purchased a ticket to Alt NYC and had to cancel out. To me the brand that Alt has established is one of unique, fresh, over-the-top creativity, unsurpassed in its innovation and attention to detail.
I blog for fun, to connect with lovelies around the world, to stay inspired... so I can't say, like many of my blogger buds, that heading to Utah for a few days was a noteworthy and important business expense. I kinda just wanted to go to dance the night away with friends and be wowed by the great business cards and keynotes. Maybe bring back some signature swag. Is that so wrong?
In my head, no.
However, 2013 was not my year for Alt SLC.
If you follow Pars Caeli on Instagram (yeah, come on over, I have some really corny jokes for you), you saw my ode to the magnificence and rockstar partying through the hashtag "altsummitwannabe." Yes, yes, I do use humor as a coping mechanism. For example, I did enjoy this round table discussion but maybe not as much as I would have if Jen and Sandra were leading it.
My networking opportunities? Well, not so Alt fab.
But, at least I could add my homage to blogging through my fashion choices (while my ladies touted a much grander sense of style...)
Big, big thanks to my tweeps who played along and offered their own glimpses into what an Alt Summit Wannabe's world looks like.
Honesty here? Despite getting a nibble from sponsors, I knew I couldn't attend Alt SLC this year when I found out the date. Why? My daughter, C, age five, had her first ballet performance on Saturday. Until now she's been overcome by stagefright despite her amazing natural abilities and love for dance (no bias here). So, though I was swayed by the glamour and the glitter, I knew I had to be in the auditorium seat with my loud clapping hands and gleaming smile to cheer on my favorite new ballerina.
That doesn't keep me from getting all that I can from the photos, quotes, and detailed recaps floated out on my favorite blogs. And when you find something this good, well, you just have to share it.
You'll find below an unmatched list of amazing recaps for those of you who fell into the Alt Summit Wannabe category and for you beautiful attendees, too. Have a missed some awesomeness that must be shared? Post it in the comments, and I'll update the blog roll here.
- You're gonna wanna read all 73 of these lessons from And Then We Saved learned
- Catherine shows off her outfits over on Walking with Cake
- Even amazing bloggers like Megan need a burst of inspiration. Read how she got her groove back over at the Fresh Exchange
- The dynamo Melanie recaps the highlights we can all take away over on Inward Facing Girl
- Over at Mama love Papa, Morgan admits (we already knew it) her great affinity and talent in photo booths and pinpoints great speakers
- Adina from Gluten Free Travelette throws down some bulleted lists you don't want to miss
- Gabriel, AKA the Artful Desperado, offers some advice we don't often hear on Alt
- Erin from Art Social has everything you need to know
- Mariah has the skinny on how to make amazing photos with props on Oh, What Love Studios
- Designer Rachel of Pencil Shavings Studio put together an awesome takeaway menu from her time
- A brilliant recap of mega talent, Stefan Sagmeister's naked keynote from Sandra at Raincoast Cottage
- And don't miss Sandra's notes from her roundtable with Jen from Classic Play: Makers Gotta Make
- Two great posts from Erika of Foxtrot Press to keep us thinking and engaged, check here and here
- The Curbly viewpoint offered by Alicia
- All sorts of inspiration and notes from PJ over at Bunny and Dolly
- You better believe that bloggers hustle harder, and Amber over at Damask Love has all the info
- Kristiina reveals 5 things she didn't expect to learn over on a Typical Housecat
- Cal has great photos and insights from her experience. Check them out over at Call Me Cal
- Speaking of awesome photos, you gotta check out Karen's over at Chookooloonks
- Jill of Terra Savvy shares some lovely thoughts on Alt the second time around
- You must see Brittany from the House of that Lars Built unbelievable hat (and all the other fun)
- The New Diplomat's Wife says it all in five quotes
- Little Lessy takes you through each day's lessons with great graphics, too.
- Lisa of Elembee breaks it all down in two posts for us, find here and here
- Need Alt survival tips? Get them from our girl Squirrelly Minds, Tan
- Lauren gives us the deets on her outfits and her takeways on Stylized Existence
- Allison of Engaged and Inspired shares her snapshots
- Party like its Alt SLC from the one and only Kelly of StudioDIY
- Leslie reminds us of the power of friendship through her experiences at Alt and making new connections over on her blog Leslie Fandrich
- Side note: she also took photos of some of my favorite Alt people - go check out those gorgeous gals
- A must-see: Sheri's showcase of the Alt business cards over on Donuts, Dresses, and Dirt
- Joy tells it like no other and reminds us to be our truest selves and shares the secrets from successful bloggers on Frock Files
** Hugs to all of you beautiful people who have come back to check on things while I've been away. Did I tell you that I've missed you?